Saturday, May 29, 2010

Lemon Poppy-Seed & Strawberry Cake - Half Homemade

I just spent the better part of a gorgeous morning hanging out in the driveway with my familia! It was wonderful! Due to the fact that both little boys, as well as I have been super sick over the past couple of weeks, we thought we'd host Mikey's 5th Birthday party OUTSIDE in the fresh air (with easily accessible bottles of hand sanitizer at the ready!)

And honestly, sickness or no sickness, that was the best decision EVER! It was SO very gorgeous out this morning...and being outdoors gave Mikey ample time to ride his new BIKE!! :)

Anyway...back to the point! Mikey was sitting next to me one day while I was leafing through a magazine and he saw a Lemon Poppy-Seed and Strawberry layer cake. He wanted THAT cake for his birthday. I looked up the recipe online and found some not great reviews, which is scary. AND it would've been a very pricey cake...cake and frosting from scratch. I do not keep cake flour in the house. I don't want to deal with whipping heavy cream. I'm all for the yum-factor, but between the kids and the pregnancy (plus now I'm sick) I just don't have the patience, time or energy!

SO...I figured, "Well...I can pretty much copy that idea and do it myself!" And folks...that is just what I did. Results from ALL who tried it?!?!?! BIG THUMBS UP!!

I wish I had a picture...my mom probably does. (If so, I'll share later) But here it is...

Half-Homemade Lemon Poppy-Seed & Strawberry Cake

1 Lemon Cake Box Mix (and ingredients required per box directions)
3 Tbsp. (give or take) Poppy Seeds
2 Cans White "Whipped" frosting
1 lb. Strawberries (fresh)
1 cup (Approx.) Strawberry Preserves

1. Mix cake mix according to box directions, adding poppy seeds prior to baking. Follow directions for two 8-inch round pans, which you have greased with shortening and floured. Bake per box directions, invert shortly after removing from oven, and cool on a cooling rack.
2. Cut each cake round in half, horizontally, using a serrated knife...giving you four separate layers.
3. Two assemble cake, place one layer on a plate, cut side up. Spread 1/3 of strawberry preserves over cake, followed by approximately 1/3th of a can of frosting. Top this with a layer of cut strawberries.
4. Repeat with remaining layers. When you reach the fourth cake layer, be sure to place it cut side down. Do not add preserves or berries to the top of this layer.
5. Frost the cake with desired amount of frosting on top and sides. Garnish with extra berries.
6. Refrigerate until ready to serve!

This cake was truly delicious and looks (and tastes) impressive for how simple it really is!

Like I said... I will share a photo later if my mom has one available!! (Can you believe I did not take a single picture today?? I've been so sick and so tired, I spent most of the party just RESTING!

Hope everyone has a fabulous Memorial Day Weekend!!

xoxo

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails